Uniden BCD436HP Review
Scanning is a pastime that has been around for many years. Although it has seen rises and falls in popularity over the years, scanning is making a big comeback, which is why we are seeing an influx of police scanners on the market.
Unfortunately, not all police scanners are created equal. In this uniden bcd436hp review, we will discuss all the details you need to know. From the features to the pros and cons, everything will be covered in great detail, so you are armed with the information necessary for making the right decision.
- Why Do You Need a Police Scanner?
- What Should You Look for in a Police Scanner?
- Features of the Uniden BCD436HP
- What Are the Technical Specs of the Uniden BCD436HP?
- What Will You Find in the Box?
- How to Get Started Using Your Uniden BCD436HP
- What Can You Listen to with the Uniden BCD436HP?
- Pros and Cons of the Uniden BCD436HP
- How to Care for Your Uniden BCD436HP
- What Kind of Warranty Does Uniden Offer?
Why Do You Need a Police Scanner?
Most people who buy police scanners want to know what is going on in the world around them. These scanners are also considered a hobby tool that is enjoyed by people of all ages. Some people buy them for professional needs because they need to hear from their agency when they are off duty.
Having one of these police scanners is important for ensuring you know when to take action when certain events are happening in your immediate vicinity.
What Should You Look for in a Police Scanner?
Before we delve too deeply into this review, it is important you first understand what to look for in a police scanner. This is especially important if you are new to scanning and have never owned a handheld scanner before. Consider the following if you are ready to purchase.
- Choose a format. This is the trickiest and most confusing part of the buying process. There are analog and digital models. Analog is quickly fading in popularity, and digital is the platform that is going to offer you the most results. You can look up your area to determine which you need.
- Choose a type. There are handheld and home/car versions. Many people prefer handheld options because they allow for a better level of portability, although there are positives to home/car versions. What you choose will be based on personal preference.
- Choose a brand. Two major brands are leading the way in police scanner manufacturing, and they are Uniden and Whistler. In this uniden bearcat bcd436hp review, you will learn why Uniden is superior.
- Choose your budget. While your budget is certainly an important qualifier, you should not purchase a handheld police scanner based on price alone. Learn as much as you can about the brands and models and work within your budget, to make the best purchase.
Features of the Uniden BCD436HP
Learning about the features of a police scanner is critical for ensuring you have the information it will take to make the best purchase. We will discuss each feature, so you will understand what it does and why it is important.
Some scanners are NOT meant for beginners because the programming is so detailed and exhaustive. Thankfully, the Uniden BCD436HP is very easy to program, making it an ideal handheld police scanner for people of all skill levels.
All you have to do is input your zip code or your GPS coordinates. Once you put this information in, the scanner takes care of the rest. The Uniden BCD436HP comes with a handy 4GB MicroSD card that offers a full database of all American and Canadian systems.
With the free Sentinel software that is installed in the Uniden BCD436HP, users can easily update their firmware or database at any time. This software even allows you to edit and manage all your favorites lists.
Are you a traveler? If so, you are going to love the options for GPS connectivity that are available with the Uniden BCD436HP. You can easily link your GPS device to the police scanner. Once it is connected, the police scanner will automatically scan channels in the area, based on your location. If you buy a Uniden GPS, the process of setup is even easier.
Close Call RF Capture
A police scanner without close call RF capture is not as user-friendly as it could be. With this feature, you do not have to scan by hand. It will automatically scan for you. You also have the option of using Close Call Do-Not-Disturb, which stops other transmissions from interrupting.
Trunk Tracker V Operation
Another important feature of the Uniden BCD436HP is the Trunk Tracker V Operation. With this feature, you can scan a wide array of trunked systems, including Motorola, LTR, X2-TDMA, and APCO 25 Phase 1 and Phase 2.
As you can see, the Uniden BCD436HP is packed with some of the most helpful features available in handheld police scanner devices. This scanner offers everything you need for quick and easy scanning.
What Are the Technical Specs of the Uniden BCD436HP?
This review would not be complete without informing you of the technical specs that are available with this device. The following offers information on the technical specs, so you know just what you are getting when you purchase the Uniden BCD436HP.
- Trunk Tracker V Operation
- Sentinel Software
- Includes a 4GB MicroSD Card
- Close Call RF Capture
- Multicolor LED Alerts
- USB to PC Connectivity
- SMA Antenna
- Offers a Frequency Range of 25-512 MHz, 758-824MHz, 849-869 MHz, 894-960 MHz, 1240-1300MHz
- Offers Frequency Steps of 5, 6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5, 15, 20, 25, 50, 100 kHz
What Will You Find in the Box?
Unboxing any electronic device is exciting for many people. Seeing what is offered in the box allows you to better understand what to expect when you get your Uniden BCD436HP home.
- One handheld police scanner
- One USB connection cable
- One rubber antenna
- An attached belt clip
- An installed MicroSD card
- One SMA-BCN antenna adapter
- Three 3 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries
- An owner’s manual
How to Get Started Using Your Uniden BCD436HP
Once you get your device, there are a few steps you will need to take to begin using your handheld police scanner. These are fairly straightforward, but it is important to familiarize yourself with the owner’s manual, to ensure you know all the basic functions and how to use them.
- The power button is on the lower left side. Turn your device on with this button. You will hear a beep when it comes on.
- You can adjust the volume with the knob that is on the top right corner of your device. First press the knob down and then it can be turned in either direction to adjust the volume.
- To adjust the squelch, you will need to push the function button on the right-hand side of the radio and then the knob on top that normally controls the volume now controls the squelch level. In most cases, you are going to leave the squelch level on 2, but you may need to adjust this at some point.
- You can reach the menu with the button on the bottom left-hand side of the radio. You will use the volume knob at the top to navigate through the different menu options. Once you have reached your choice, you will hit the E button. To get out of the menu, hit the menu key until it backs you out.
- You can isolate and put a hold on certain channels using the channel button.
What Can You Listen to with the Uniden BCD436HP?
Although it is obvious you can listen to police channels when using a police scanner, there is so much more available with the Uniden BCD436HP. The following are some of the channel types you can listen to while enjoying scanning.
- Schools and universities
- Air traffic control
- Hospitals/EMS/ and rescue squads
- Fire departments
- Road and street departments
- Police, including local, sheriff, highway patrol, and state police
- Malls and department stores
- Utility departments
Pros and Cons of the Uniden BCD436HP
A balanced review is essential for understanding whether you want to pick up the Uniden BCD436HP or look at another brand or model. Below, you will see the pros and cons of this police scanner radio.
- One of the best things about this handheld police scanner is how easy it is to use. No matter your experience level, this police scanner is simple to use.
- With the dual battery system, the battery life of this Uniden BCD436HP is long-lasting.
- This model is compatible with external antennas, so you can extend the range impressively when you are on the move.
- With GPS compatibility, this radio will automatically start scanning channels without you having to do it manually.
- One of the most obvious cons of this handheld radio is the expense. Although it is pricier than some models, it is important to remember that you do get what you pay for in most cases.
How to Care for Your Uniden BCD436HP
Care instructions are included with the owner’s manual. You need to make sure you keep the radio dry and do not operate it in wet conditions. Store it at room temperature in a dry environment.
If your radio becomes dirty, you can use a slightly damp cloth to wipe it down. You can also use compressed air cans to blow out any embedded dust or debris that may settle in the crevices of the radio over time.
What Kind of Warranty Does Uniden Offer?
As with most Uniden products, a one-year warranty is offered against manufacturing defects. It is important to save your receipt because Uniden requires proof of purchase when sending your radio in for repairs or replacements.
It is important to refer to the manufacturer’s warranty information, which is included with the owner’s manual, to ensure you understand the scope of coverage fully. Never use the radio in any unauthorized manner and avoid modding it, or you could void your warranty.
Should you have problems with your Uniden BCD436HP, you can mail it to the following address:
Uniden America: Parts Return Department
C/O Saddle Creek
743 Henrietta Creek Rd., Suite 100,
Roanoke TX 76262
People often have a lot of questions regarding the Uniden BCD436HP and how it operates. The following are some of the top questions we have received regarding this handheld police scanner radio.
Is the GPS function already installed? Is there any extra charge involved in using this feature?
It is important to note that the GPS receiver is already installed in the Uniden BCD436HP. To use this feature, you will need to purchase a separate antenna. Just about any antenna can be used, as long as you have the proper adapter.
What is the length of the USB cable that comes with the radio?
The length of the USB cable is three feet. If this length does not suit your needs, you can always purchase a longer USB cable that is compatible with the radio.
Is it possible to use this radio with an earpiece of headphones?
It is possible to use both. In fact, this radio comes with an earphone jack, and you can use any compatible earpiece or headphones.
Now that you know more about this amazing handheld police scanner, you likely want to get your hands on it right away. This scanner is one of the easiest to pick up and begin using when you are a beginner.
It is packed with features, allowing you to customize your scanning experience and take it with you wherever you go. With its compact size, it is comfortable in your hands and can be used with a belt clip for hands-free operation.
If you are looking for a solid radio that is simple to program and does not require a lot of knowledge, this one is ideal. With location-based scanning, the radio will automatically present you with local channels that may be of interest.
Before purchasing any police scanner device, you must understand everything there is to know. By being aware of the information in this uniden bcd436hp review, you should now be armed with the knowledge you need, to decide if this is the police scanner radio for you.